Powered by Invision Power Board

Exploration of the Silithid presence in Feralas, My report.
Jarae Nightwind
Posted: Dec 4 2005, 11:59 PM

Seeker
Class: Druid

Lady Stargazer,
As follows is a report from the excursion into the silithid territory in Feralas. I have split it into several sections for ease of reading.

– layout -

The layout of the silithid presence in Feralas consisted of two large excavations and around a dozen or so rock type chimneys, that swarmed with small insects. As you know we discussed the reason for the chimneys and the insects that flew over head also in the surrounding area were several large talon type structures that seemed to move independently of any local weather conditions.

- Excavation One -

The first excavation we came across consisted of 3 caverns, 2 hatcheries and a large chamber a use for which was speculated on but no evidence was located as of yet.
The first hatchery we came across was evident only by the large glowing birth sacks that hung from the slick ceilings and through the membranous wall, the dim outline of a partially formed silithid could be seen, the several ones we looked at seemed to contain the warrior type organisms in various stages of growth. Around the floor of the cavern several of the large subterranean drone type insects, doing several tasks of which mostly could not be concerned.
The large chamber consisted of a large domed cavern which seemed to lead off into several directions, all of which after cursory examination of the site seemed blocked off by a thick membranous resin, that resisted both blow and blade and without explosives would have been hard to pass. Within the room large numbers of both the warrior organisms and the drones moved about carrying out various tasks, also noted in this room, several large ore deposits also covered in ooze similar to the information gained by Maeven.
The second hatchery we entered also contained six of the birth sacks again with the evidence of some form of life forming within. However this structure seemed older than the first one as more evidence of the silithid's unusual building skills was seen in the form of a single large almost bone like span that lead to the center of the room.
All of these rooms were linked by several long tunnels that contained at several locations some of the silithid's drones who were dispatched with bow or blade with little skill required, interestingly this also branched off at several locations to dead end corridors.

- Excavation Two -

This second excavation consisted of 3 hatcheries and a large ramp-way circular in in design that led to the surface.
After entering through a hole in the second floor of the ramp we swiftly moved through the tunnels to locate the first of the hatcheries, strangely this particular hatchery seemed the oldest of all of the ones we explored and unlike the ones before it contained only one of the aforementioned birth sack, but in their place were dark leathery objects similar in size and function, almost a cocoon structure. I counted seven of these and the one birth sack. To me in any case this room seemed to be the oldest one yet, completed to my belief some time ago. Within this room more drones milled around and attacked only when engaged or we ventured to close.
Exiting the tunnel that brought us to this room we again confirmed it to be a hatchery and set about confirming the number of sacks that hung from the ceiling, again they numbered six in total.
- I am not sure about this but I believe that six is perhaps the amount each room with its drone inhabitants can easily support -
Exiting by a tunnel on the ground floor led us into combat with one of the drone type silithid's, dispatching it swiftly we entered into the only remaining entrance and proceeded to follow the tunnel to its destination.
Now this room however was the strangest, although hatchery in shape and size it contained no birth sacks and no cocoon's but a large object in the center of the room caught your eye and as we know after several minutes of hacking through the leathery skin we managed to extract a night elf, a courier from feathermoon, who after we gave a few rations to he left and managed to secure his exit from the structure.

Below follows a brief description of the drone and warrior organisms discovered at the site.

- Warrior Organism -
These silithid's resembled to my eyes a large form of winged insect very much like the wasps we see flying over a summer meadow, after trapping one for a few minutes we examined it closely before dispatching it. This organism had like a wasp 6 legs and a thorax which contained the stinger, it also had large mandibles it used to bite and each of its legs ended in a hard bony spike which it used to pierce its target. Also worth noting as I have already discussed the coloring of the warriors seemed to be adapted to its local surroundings so that it could be afforded some form of camouflage. Also some of these when about to expire seemed to use its stinger as a last ditch attempt at defense and at several times managed to poison for a brief period of time the animal companions we had taken along.

- Drone Organism -
Now unlike their warrior cousins, these organisms seemed more sturdy and a little larger in size and weight. Its six legs ranged in size from the huge front legs to the small but powerful legs at the rear, It is also worth noting the front legs of these organisms seemed ideally suited to digging through the earth which is why i believe these are the one responsible for all the excavations we went through. What is unique is the fact that the ones that lived within the excavations and the hatcheries as they seemed to be the same type was their coloring. The ones who lived above ground like their warrior counterparts had adapted their coloring to match their surroundings, while the one who were subterranean matched the color of the odd tunnel walls. It is my best guess that the ones on the surface where more likely foragers and such. But the subterranean ones were more minders or keepers of the existing excavations and we observed several effecting repairs of the tunnel walls.
Also these ones seemed to have a survival instinct and would seek to flee from combat and head towards one of the more aggressive warrior counterparts.

- Glow bug -
These ones although not aggressive or defensive natures, have a gift worth mentioning. I am assuming all who read this report know of fire flies. Well these were much larger versions who emitted a pale light from their thorax regions, which allowed us to move through the tunnels with relative ease. It is worth noting that these organisms range in size from small to the same size as a man and seem to feed of the nutrients and ooze that coats the silithid made walls, even prodding one with the hilt of my rapier did not cause it to stop and attack and it continued to feed. I also stated that these might also repair the walls which shows why some location have one while others have many many more.

So ends my report and as you was there, you would likely know of anything I may have excluded.

Jarae Nightwind

Whoops, no one told me this longbow was loaded.
Mini Profile
1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Archivist

Topic Options